Friday, July 24, 2015

I Had That Dream Again...

Autism
I have a recurring dream. Perhaps other parents of children with autism have this same dream. In my dream, I am interacting with one of our two children with autism. Both children are considered nonverbal. In my dream, our child starts speaking in full sentences. I always have the same reaction. I try not to look surprised as if I might jinx the moment.

Most of the time, my dream features our son. This is hard because he has the potential to do something like this. He has the ability to speak and we have heard him on the odd occasion speak a full sentence when he is motivated. But most of the time he just hums or recites lines from movies.

Last night, it was our daughter. I had never had this type of dream with her. She too is considered nonverbal but she is more severe than our son. She can give a handful of one word requests but has never spoken much more than that. That is why in my dream I was particularly filled with joy.

But then I woke up.

It was only a dream. My children are still nonverbal.

I say this not to complain but to say that some days are harder than others. Those of you with children who can communicate, with autism or without, be thankful for what you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment