Sunday, August 7, 2016

How Veggie Tales Saved My Life

Veggie Tales
Well actually Veggie Tales didn't really save my life. But is sure helped make my life as an autism dad easier.

Our daughter, Abby, had some pretty bad sleep disruptions. For some reason, she just would wake up between 1 and 3 am. Every night. It was pretty rough.

I finally found a way for me to get her back to sleep. But I had to do the same thing every time. When she would wake up, I would bring her upstairs and I would give her a rice cake and a cup of milk. Then I would put on the Veggie Tales video, King George and the Ducky (because I knew it was only a half hour). The key was to tell Abby before the video started and about half way through that as soon as it was done, she would be going back to bed. I had to make this announcement before the video was finished. It didn't work every time, but it did probably 80% of the time. And when you are talking a nightly occurrence, that makes a big difference.

I share this just to give you a glimpse of what it is like to be an autism parent.

No comments:

Post a Comment